Who is entitled to TAC benefits?

Who is entitled to TAC benefits?

Many people do not realise how helpful the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) can be after a transport accident.

If a person is injured or dies as a result of a Victorian transport accident, the TAC will assess whether to pay compensation to them or their families upon receiving a claim form. Claim forms can either be filled in whilst at the hospital, or completed over the phone on 1300 654 329.

The TAC may provide assistance to a person who:

  • is injured
  • has an injury aggravated
  • is killed; or
  • is a family member, witness or dependant affected.

by an incident directly caused by the driving of a motor vehicle, tram or train.

...with a few qualifications...

The TAC is a scheme of the Victorian Government. To come under the scheme, the accident must have:

  • occurred in Victoria
  • involved a Victorian resident; or
  • involved a Victorian registered vehicle.

The accident must have been reported to police or the train or tram operator and there must be evidence of injuries and treatment.

...and few exceptions...

People who will not be able to access the full benefits of the TAC scheme include those injured:

  • in unregistered or uninsured vehicles on private land
  • during motor sports; or
  • while committing certain offences.

Generally, if a transport accident happens at work or during the course of a person's employment it is covered by WorkCover.

...and some special circumstances...

You will also be covered if you are injured:

  • by an open or opening car door
  • by a runaway vehicle; or
  • if you ride your bike into a parked car on the way to work.

Cycling accidents do not automatically fall within the TAC definition of a transport accident. A cyclist's injury must be directly caused by the driving of a motor vehicle, tram or train. This includes cyclists colliding with open or opening car doors or swerving to avoid a collision with a car.

They can also help your family and dependants...

The dependants or immediate family of an injured person may be able to access:

  • family counselling services
  • financial support
  • funeral expenses; or
  • money for travel and accommodation expenses when visiting an injured person in hospital.

...they just need the claim form.

It is not always obvious that help is available to injured and affected people. TAC compensation is designed to make life easier after a transport accident and should be accessed by anyone in need.

To find out if you are eligible for TAC support of some kind, we encourage you to seek legal advice on (03) 9321 9988 and to put in a claim with the TAC.

No Win, No Fee. No Uplift Fee.

Our No Win, No Fee and No Uplift Fee arrangement means you will only pay legal fees if your claim is successful. *Conditions apply

Learn more

Call and speak to our legal team

At Redlich’s our legal team answer the phone so that you receive free legal advice straight away.  No Win, No Fee. No Uplift Fee.

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers is a division of Holding Redlich © 2022
Level 23, 500 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 3000

Read our privacy policy

Provide feedback