If you or a family member has been injured in an accident on the road or on public transport you can access lost wages and payment of medical expenses through the TAC scheme.

You don’t need to prove anyone’s fault to be eligible.

The TAC scheme assists people injured in an accident with a motor vehicle, tram or train in Victoria, or interstate if involving a Victorian resident or a Victorian registered vehicle.  The accident must have been reported to police or the public transport operator and there must be evidence of injuries and medical treatment.

We provide assistance to drivers, motorcyclists, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists who have been injured in vehicle accidents.  We also assist relatives affected by the loss of a loved one.

Generally, if a traffic accident happens at work or during the course of a person’s employment it is covered by Workers Compensation, with court action under the TAC scheme.

Our TAC lawyers can help with a claim for

  • Physical injury, disability or death caused on the road
  • Psychological injury due to consequences of a road accident
  • Aggravation of a physical injury

What are my options?

If you have an accepted TAC claim you may be able to access multiple levels of compensation based on the severity of your injury/illness and whether another party was at fault.

Level 1: No fault benefits

TAC benefits include “loss of earnings” payments and medical expenses such as:

  • ambulance and hospital expenses
  • doctors and other medical attendances (including travel expenses)
  • medications and aides
  • rehabilitation costs (including counselling and household assistance).

Level 2: Permanent injury lump sum payment

The calculation of this payment is based on the level of your assessed permanent impairment.  This payment is available regardless of fault.

This is separate, and in addition to, loss of earnings payments and medical & like expenses.

Level 3: Sue for further compensation

If your injury/illness is determined to be a "serious injury" and was caused by the fault of another party, you can sue for further monetary compensation.  This refers to the "pain and suffering" you have endured and will continue to endure; and for the "economic loss" of wages and superannuation you would have earnt into the future.

This is separate to loss of earnings and medical & like expenses.

How do I make a TAC claim?

notify_employer Icon

Notify the police or train/tram operator

Make a note of the names of any police attending the scene of the accident.  If they did not come to the accident, or you were unable to speak to police, report the incident as soon as possible after the event and note the name of the officer(s) spoken to and their station.

If reporting a public transport accident, note the name of the public transport operator that the accident was reported to.

medical_treatment Icon

Seek medical treatment

Even if your injury/illness appears to be minor, if you are involved in an accident with a vehicle it is important to visit a doctor to start an early record of symptoms, their cause and impact on your life.  This appointment will provide the historical background which will be critical to the success of your TAC claim.

If you need time off work, request a certificate of capacity from your doctor.

Most service providers can bill TAC directly through LanternPay.  If they cannot, request a receipt for the service and send it to the TAC to claim within two years.  Keep a copy of the receipt.

claim Icon

Lodge a TAC claim

Lodge a TAC claim by calling 1300 654 329 if a form was not completed at the hospital.

Following lodgement of a claim by telephone, the TAC will send you a completed claim form which you will need to sign and return to the TAC.  Your claim must be lodged within 12 months of the date of your accident.  This date may be extended in some circumstances, such as if you have only recently become aware of the seriousness of your injury/illness.

You will need to submit an original certificate of capacity if claiming for time off work.

If you need assistance completing your TAC claim form, please call our legal team on (03) 9321 9988.

contact Icon

Contact us

Even if you don’t think your injury is serious, we recommend discussing your injury/illness with a lawyer while the details are fresh in your mind.

Your time is important to us, so when you call (03) 9321 9988 during business hours Monday - Friday, your call will be answered by a member of our legal team.  We will be able to advise you on your potential rights and entitlements, and offer a free face-to-face meeting at an office closest to you.

Legal services are provided on a No Win No Fee basis.

Awards and Accolades

Doyle’s Guide

Leading law firm

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers

Victorian Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation (2018 – 2019)

Third tier law firm

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers

Victorian Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation (2020)

Recommended law firm

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers

Victorian Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation (2021 – 2022)

Frequently Asked Questions

Read all TAC FAQs

I have been injured in a transport accident – what should I do?

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) scheme covers individuals who have been injured in an accident in Victoria caused by the driving of a car, motorcycle, bus, train or tram.

It is a ‘no fault’ scheme and individuals are entitled to assistance regardless of who was at fault.

If the accident occurred interstate, the TAC scheme only covers Victorians if the accident involved a Victorian registered vehicle.  A non-Victorian resident who is injured in an interstate accident can only make a TAC claim if they are the occupants of a Victorian registered vehicle.

To start the process of claiming compensation you must report the accident to the police or the relevant public transport operator (Metro Train, Yarra Trams or the relevant bus company).  If the police attended the accident, you do not have to report it again.

You should then lodge a claim with the TAC by calling 1300 654 329.  You will be asked for personal details, information about the accident and to provide your employment details if you can’t work.

The TAC will send out a completed form which you must carefully check and sign.  It is vital that you list all of your injuries, even those that appear minor at the time.  You must return the signed claim form to the TAC for the claim to be accepted.

How long do I have to make a TAC claim?

To claim statutory “no fault” benefits (medical expenses and loss of earnings) from the TAC, your claim form must be lodged within one year of the date of the accident or when the injury first manifests.  In exceptional circumstances a claim form can be lodged within three years.

If the TAC makes a decision you disagree with, you have 12 months to dispute that decision. 

A claim for lump sum compensation must be made within six years of the date of the accident.

Suing for compensation where someone is at fault for loss of earnings and pain and suffering must be made within six years of the date of the accident.

If you think that you might be out of time to lodge a claim, please contact us.

How long does the TAC have to accept or reject my claim?

The TAC will contact you within 21 days from the date that you made your claim to let you know if your claim has been accepted or rejected.  They may sometimes request further information.

If the TAC fails to contact you at the end of 21 days, your TAC claim is considered rejected.  You can have this rejection reviewed by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

If you would like further information on the review process, please contact us.

No Win, No Fee. No Uplift Fee.

Our No Win, No Fee and No Uplift Fee arrangement means you will only pay legal fees if your claim is successful. *Conditions apply

Learn more

Call and speak to our legal team

At Redlich’s our legal team answer the phone so that you receive free legal advice straight away.  No Win, No Fee. No Uplift Fee.

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers is a division of Holding Redlich © 2022
Level 6, 555 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 3000

Read our privacy policy

Provide feedback