Unlicensed motorists and TAC entitlements

Unlicensed motorists and TAC entitlements

If you were driving or riding unlicensed and were involved in a transport accident in Victoria, you are still entitled to some support from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The TAC will consider assisting anyone who has been injured in a transport accident in Victoria. However, the level of support which can be received will be reduced if you were committing an offence at the time of the accident. The TAC will treat you as'unlicensed' if:

  • You have never held a licence for the class of vehicle you were driving;
  • Your license was suspended or cancelled at the time; or
  • You had not renewed your licence for three years.

If you were unlicensed for the class of vehicle you were driving at the time of your accident, the TAC is not liable to pay you loss of earnings payments for the first 18 months after your accident. However, you are still entitled to: (a) Payment of your medical expenses; (b) Payments for your lost earning capacity between 18 months and 3 years after your accident; (c) An impairment benefit if you are left with an injury which impairs you 11% or more; and (d) Explore your options to sue for compensation if you have a serious injury and another person was at fault in your accident. If you would like advice about your entitlements, or how they are affected by being unlicensed or having committed an offence, you can speak directly to a lawyer on (03) 9321 9988.

No Win, No Fee. No Uplift Fee.

Our No Win, No Fee and No Uplift Fee arrangement means you will only pay legal fees if your claim is successful. *Conditions apply

Learn more

Call and speak to our legal team

At Redlich’s our legal team answer the phone so that you receive free legal advice straight away.  No Win, No Fee. No Uplift Fee.

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers

Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers is a division of Holding Redlich © 2022
Level 23, 500 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 3000

Read our privacy policy

Provide feedback