Being injured at work can be frustrating, painful and at times, very distressing. To help you return to work, the WorkCover compensation scheme provides basic benefits such as payment of medical and like expenses, and payment for time off work.
But what happens when your WorkCover claim form is rejected by the insurer?
Why was my WorkCover claim rejected?
Your claim may be rejected by the insurance company for a number of different reasons. Common reasons include:
- the injury didn’t happen at work
- the employer disputes the circumstances of what happened
- the injury/condition is not related to work duties or an incident
- you had pre-existing injuries/conditions which are causing ongoing symptoms
- your injury was not reported in a timely way.
What can I do if my WorkCover claim is rejected?
If your claim is rejected there is a number of things you can do:
- use the resources open to you
- there are organisations available that can assist you in challenging the decision. Click here to find out more about ‘Conciliation’.
- get legal advice early
- there are strict time frames in place for challenging rejections. It’s really helpful to have a lawyer by your side who can help you navigate your way through the system and explain the evidence you will need to challenge the rejection of your claim.
- don’t give up!
- it is unfortunately quite common that WorkCover claims are rejected at first instance. That does not mean that you should give up on getting your rightful entitlements.
Tips for claiming WorkCover benefits
To have your WorkCover claim accepted or successfully challenged you should:
- write and lodge an incident report as soon as possible
- go to your doctor right away and make sure they have a correct and detailed history about what happened
- be honest about any pre-existing/related conditions and the scope of any issues you have with them
- remember it is okay to speak to an investigator regarding providing a statement to the insurer, however don’t sign it without legal advice.
For a full list of our tips, click here.
At Redlich's Work Injury Lawyers, we will give you considered and timely advice in relation to the options that you may have. We have successfully assisted many workers whose claims have been rejected to have their claims rightfully accepted.
You can get free advice by calling a us directly on (03) 9321 9988.